- Born October 11, 1845.
- Parents were DERRICK BARNARD HARTWELL and MARY ANN RICE.
- Married ONORA M. HARVEY in July, 1870. Onora was born April 30, 1854; and died December 21, 1918. Her parents were JAMES B. HARVEY and SUSAN HOWARD .
- He removed to Chicago in 1866, to Texas in 1867, and to Kirkwood, Ill. in 1874.
- He was a clerk in a bank, deacon of the Baptist church, and had a local reputation as an inventor.
- Died September 4, 1920 in Buhl, Twin Falls County, Idaho.
- MARIAN LOUISE HARTWELL, born April 29, 1871 in Fort Scott, Bourbon County, Kansas. Married FRANK KEEP WELLES on June 1, 1899 in Fort Scott, Bourbon County, Kansas.
- FREDERICK HARVEY HARTWELL, born February 12, 1873 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. Married ETHEL ESTHER CRUSE on October 27, 1919. They had no children.
- FRANK DERRICK HARTWELL, born February 15, 1876 in Spring Grove, McHenry County, Illinois; died July 7, 1923. Married LULU REBECCA CALHOUN on September 5, 1906.
- ALBERT WILLIAM HARTWELL, born October 23, 1877 in Spring Grove, McHenry County, Illinois. Married GRACE CAROLYN BECK on August 18, 1908.
- CHARLES MORTIMER HARTWELL, born February 11, 1880 in Kirkwood, Warren County, Illinois. Married IRENE GRAY PATRICK on August 30, 1910.
- HELEN HARTWELL, born November 19, 1882 in Kirkwood, Warren County, Illinois; died January 3, 1951 in Ellensburg, Kittitas County, Washington. Married ARTHUR GRUNDY WYATT on January 29, 1919. They had no children.
- CAROLINE ONORA HARTWELL, born October 6, 1886. Married EARL DENVER PATRICK on August 30, 1910.
- JAMES BROWN HARTWELL, born June 4, 1888 in Pendleton, Umatilla County, Oregon; died in January, 1970. Married KATHRYN NEIL PATRICK on December 31, 1912.
- DOROTHY BELL HARTWELL, born June 27, 1891. Married CHARLES MARION GISH on December 31, 1912.
- HARRY HOWARD HARTWELL, born October 27, 1894 in Pendleton, Umatilla County, Oregon. Married BERTHA M. SMITH on June 18, 1927.
- HAROLD HERBERT HARTWELL, born October 27, 1894 in Pendlton, Umatilla County, Oregon. Married GLADYS RAE GUY on June 16, 1922.
- The Hartwells of America..., by Lyman Wallace Densmore, Hartwell & Lorenzen, Saginaw MI, 1956.