- Born July 29, 1834 in Springville, Cattaraugus County, New York.
- Parents were WILLIAM WATERMAN SHERMAN and MARIA EGERY.
- Married SUSAN MARGARET LYTLE in 1855. Susan was born May 13, 1835 in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. Her parents were JAMES LYTLE and KEZIA DUNN. Kezia was a quaker lady, and a descendant of Sir Francis Drake.
- Occupation - jeweler and gunsmith. He made his wife's wedding ring out of a $20 gold piece. He moved to Wisconsin because of the demand for guns on the western frontier.
- Died September 16, 1876.
- A family tree of the five Harvey brothers : containing all the known antecedents of Thomas, James, Peter, Philip and Andrew Harvey of Skaneateles, New York by Lester M. Harvey (Skaneateles, N.Y.?: unknown, 1955?), page 96