- Born March 8, 1808 in Alstead, Cheshire County, New Hampshire.
- Parents were SAMUEL ESTABROOK HARTWELL and ABIGAIL HOLBROOK.
- Married LUCY M. KING on January 20, 1836. Lucy was born April 1, 1815; and died March 31, 1859.
- Was a farmer in Swanzey, Walpole and Langdon, New Hampshire.
- Died August 15, 1860 in Langdon, Sullivan County, New Hampshire.
- ELLEN MARIAH HARTWELL, born July 6, 1836. Married CHARLES M. LOVELL on January 28, 1869.
- CHARLES E. HARTWELL, born February 3, 1839 in Langdon, Sullivan County, New Hampshire; died April 2, 1910. Married LUCY A. RICE on November 8, 1860.
- SARAH F. HARTWELL, born February 2, 1842; died January 1, 1885. She was a school teacher in St. Luke's Hospital, N.Y.; Providence, R.I.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; and near Philadelphia, Penna. She never married.
- HARRIET L. HARTWELL, born December 1, 1848; died January 9, 1916. Married JOSEPH B. BISHOP on December 14, 1872.
- FREDERICK WILLARD HARTWELL, born January 8, 1850 in Langdon, Sullivan County, New Hampshire; died October 9, 1911 in Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island. Married MARY LORING HARTSHORN on October 15, 1873.
The Hartwells of America..., by Lyman Willard Densmore, Hartwell & Lorenzen, Saginaw MI, 1956, page 49