- Born November 28, 1842 in Strong, Franklin County, Maine.
- Parents were EPHRAIM HENRY HARTWELL and ABIGAIL POTTLE.
- Married ALTHEA L. REYNOLDS on April 4, 1869. Althea was born October 6, 1843; and died May 19, 1909.
- He was a carpenter, residing in Worcester.
- He enlisted Aug. 16, 1861, musician, 8th Maine Regt., discharged under act of Congress, later re-enlisted under direction of P.S. Gilmore for Gen. Andrews' Corps d'Affrique, organized at Port Hudson, La.; discharged in 1865.
- Died October 5, 1895.
- MARY VIOLA HARTWELL, born January 23, 1871 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts; died June 19, 1950 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts. Married SHERMAN RICE on July 4, 1889. Married EDWARD C. JEFFERSON on August 22, 1905 in Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut.
- JOHN HENRY HARTWELL, born February 18, 1873 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts; died June 21, 1921. Married GRACE ELIZA SMITH on September 15, 1897.
- FLORENCE A. HARTWELL, born March 23, 1875 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts; died in June, 1904. She never married.
- FRANCIS EPHRAIM HARTWELL, born June 11, 1877 in Worcester, Worcester County, Massachusetts. Married ALICE FISHER on October 8, 1906.
- CHARLES E. HARTWELL. He was adopted at the age of 25, and went by the name of HARTWELL HASS.
- The Hartwells of America..., by Lyman Willard Densmore, Hartwell & Lorenzen, Saginaw MI, 1956.