- Born August 11, 1839 in Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio.
- His father was ANDREW HEMPHILL.
- He enlisted in Co. K, Iowa Reg., served full term of the Civil War, and was honorably discharged. He was never wounded.
- Married CAROLINE THURSTON PEET on March 27, 1867.
- He had a beautiful tenor voice, and led the choirs in various churches.
- Died November 21, 1908.
- WILLIAM PEET HEMPHILL, born March 13, 1868. Married ALICE CAMPBELL on April 27, 1910.
- WAYNE GRISWOLD HEMPHILL, born December 6, 1879; died September 24, 1948. Married HELEN BUCKINGHAM on October 10, 1906 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah.
The Hartwells of America..., by Lyman Willard Densmore, Hartwell & Lorenzen, Saginaw MI, 1956. Page 105