by Charles H. Chandler (Sentinel Print. Co., Fitchburg MA, 1914)
He came to New Ipswich with his parents when only eight years old, and passed his life in the town, becoming a valuable and influential citizen. He lived for a time upon the old Ashby road, but about 1803 he returned to the region familiar in his boyhood, and built the "Wheeler tavern" upon the Turnpike, and near the east line of the town. He was selectman for thirteen consecutive years and also was town clerk. He was a leading surveyor and a contractor, building a part of the Turnpike and the meeting-house of 1811. He served in the Revolution, holding a commission as lieutenant in 1775-76, and was a captain in 1777-78.